Tuesday, September 14, 2010

It's been a while

Is anyone still out there? Sorry it's taken me a year to write but damn life has been busy. I read back over last year's posts and laughed when I read in February 2009 I posted that Dylan had "a bit of a speech delay". Turns out it wasn't that simple. He has a severe speech delay. He also has dyxpraxia, sensory processing disorder, central auditory processing disorder, static encephalopathy, and possibly ADHD (you don't need me to post a link to that one do you?). I have spent a good chunk of my free time reading up on each of these disorders to ensure that we are doing everything we can to ensure that Dylan will have a productive school and home life. I've found the more I understand these delays, the more I understand his behavior. Also, seeing a behavioral therapist helps tremendously (anyone in NJ who needs a recommendation - let me know). I have also taken up sewing. I made Dylan a quilt ~insert puffed chest~ and am in the planning stages of making one for my Mom and Sister. We are financially strapped so buying the material is just going to have to wait. Between paying for Dylan's day care the past few years and the private therapy, let's just say that McDonald's is gourmet night out. Blech. We are on the right path though, we are working with a financial guy to get our bills down. Hopefully, we'll see some light at the end of this tunnel in the next few years. So.... how are you???

2 comments:

  1. Welcome back! Lucky I kept checking in on you in the hope you'd write again some day. (After all you were my first entry into the blogging world and for that I'll always be grateful.)

    Sad to hear your little man has these learning issues. It sounds like you're doing your very best to get on top of them. Our Will came home with global developmental delay and continues to have significant learning problems but that doesn't stop him from being a sweet wonderful boy. (Can you believe he is almost 11 and a half?)

    Anyway, good luck with everything. We're coming to the US (Brooklyn, NY) for my sister's wedding next May/June so maybe we can find some way to meet up - wouldn't that be a blast??!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear that things have been going rough with Dylan..I'm sure you know I know somewhat how it feels!

    ReplyDelete