Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Awww - poor Mommy

This morning as I entered my office building, another woman was bringing her baby in a stroller. Now, I know everyone in Dylan's room and this was not a regular but before I could say anything she asked me if I was heading to the day care. I told her we were and she explained that it was her first day and she had no idea what to do (there is a main stair case to the center but if you have a stroller, you have to take the elevators down). I brought her in and showed her where to go as her son was in Dylan's room. I had set Dylan up, put his bottles away, gave him a million and one kisses, gave him and his friends toys to play with and headed out. This poor woman was putting her son's things away and bawling. I felt so bad that I offered to hang out and help her if she needed. I told her that we all got upset leaving our babies for the first time and it's ok to cry. That she should call or stop by - the center is ok w/it and that her son was in a safe place and was going to have a blast. She sobbed her thanks and said she was ok so I continued on to work. Poor girl. I'm sure she'll be a pro by the end of the week though.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:55 AM

    That's just heartbreaking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous12:16 PM

    You know, as heartbreaking as that is, I find it cool that you reached out to this lady. I can't imagine what it will be like the first day that our Mia (2 years) heads off to school. I know that if that was my wife going through those emotions I would be very grateful for the shoulder you offered her. That is what being human is all about.

    So from a dad...Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous3:55 PM

    Julie, you have an ENORMOUS heart. I'm sure that you comforted that mother more than you know.

    It made me smile inside to think of you settling Dylan in with his toys and stuff. So, has he memorized all the lyrics from Blonde on Blonde yet? And if not, why not?

    ReplyDelete