Wednesday, March 23, 2005

A stop at the top of the hill...

I pause my ride for a moment to reflect on the fact that support comes from the strangest places. I was in the gym this a.m. and talking with a new friend in the locker room. I told her that Marc and I would be adopting a baby this summer (hopefully) and I was very excited. She confided in me that she was a birth mother. She got gotten pregnant in college and chose to put the baby up for adoption. She said it was an open adoption and she gets pictures of her daughter and talks w/the parents whenever she chooses. She said that when the time comes, she will probably adopt as she feels it is the best choice for her as well (although she would go domestic). I don't know why but it makes me feel better talking to a birth mom. I told her we were doing our adoption through Guatemala and she understood our reasons. The whole experience was so positive for her. I don't know why but it really made me feel even better about doing this. Marc and I are going to start getting everything together this weekend. I can't wait! I hope it's not too hard to find all of the documents we need. I'm thinking of just ordering our birth certificates instead of trying to kill ourselves trying to find them. We have our Passports so that's one less hurdle to go through. I wish I could find some good checklist software for the palm. The software it comes with suck.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous4:24 PM

    Wow! I am a big believer of "signs" that I'm making the right decision. That's about as clear a sign as I've ever seen.

    Its nice to know that domestic adoptions can work. They personally scare the hell out of me (have too many friends who've had horror stories), but its nice to know there are successes.

    ReplyDelete